The folks at Change.org have started a petition requesting that Choice Hotels take concrete steps to prevent child trafficking, and they would like your help. Choice Hotels owns such major hotel chains as Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, and Comfort Suites, including the Comfort Suites at which Shaniya Davis was seen with an adult male shortly before she was found dead this year.
Change.org is asking Choice Hotels to sign the EPCAT code of conduct for tourism service suppliers, which would require the company to implement the following six criteria:
1. Establish an ethical policy regarding commercial sexual exploitation of children;
2. Train personnel in the country of origin and travel destinations;
3. Include a clause in supplier contracts that states a common repudiation of commercial sexual exploitation of children;
4. Provide information to travelers through catalogs, brochures, in-flight films, ticket-slips, home pages, etc.;
5. Provide information to local "key persons" at the destinations;
6. Report annually.
In response to the 2500 signatures already received, Choice Hotels has agreed to enter into discussion with EPCAT about how they can take steps to prevent child prostitution on their properties--an important first step. However, further signatures are needed to encourage the company to continue taking positive steps towards preventing child trafficking. To view and sign the petition, please click here.