From the Tahirih Justice Center:
Location: Falls Church, VA
By providing holistic legal services and engaging in national public policy advocacy, the Tahirih Justice Center (Tahirih) works to promote access to justice in the United States for immigrant women and girls who are fleeing violence. Tahirih is a Bahá’í-inspired nonprofit organization that offers pro bono representation to women and girls seeking protection from such gender-based human rights abuses as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, female genital mutilation, honor crimes, and forced marriage. Winner of the 2007 Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management, Tahirih has a staff of 28 with offices in Falls Church, VA; Houston, TX; and Baltimore, MD.
Position Summary: Tahirih is currently seeking to fill the position of Executive Assistant, which provides administrative support to the Executive Director. Additional support will be provided to the Development Department and Public Policy Director, and other areas as needed. The candidate must have superior organizational skills, excellent communication skills, a high level of maturity and sound judgment. S/he must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with highly motivated staff in a rapidly growing, mission-focused organization. The position reports to the Executive Director.
• Respond to routine correspondence, including individual donor requests, and field variety of inquiries via e-mail and telephone
• Coordinate appointments and make travel arrangements for Executive Director
• Provide general administrative support to Executive Director
• Edit and format documents and presentations for the Executive Director, and for Development department, as needed
• Maintain contact lists for Executive Director and Public Policy Director
• Attend Board of Directors meetings and help manage Board relations
• Conduct background research and assist with preparation for presentations and media interviews
• Assist with strategic analysis of organizational goals, metrics, and growth
• Answer Tahirih’s primary phone line (2 hours per day); conduct phone-screenings of potential clients
• Process donor thank you letters and track and file donations
• Assist with maintenance of donor records and contact tracking using Convio and Salesforce’s Common Ground databases
• Work with Grants manager to draft grant requests and reports
• Assist Development Team in event execution and follow-up
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• A college degree
• Detail-oriented with superior problem-solving, decision-making, organizational, and time management skills
• Strong ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, organize work, and follow through independently
• Experience working in an office environment, preferably in a nonprofit setting
• Flexibility in adapting work capacity to the needs of the office
• Ability to establish administrative systems within the office
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher), knowledge of Internet research tools
• Candidates applying must have work authorization in the United States
• Candidates will be asked to make a two year commitment to the position
Annual salary and benefits: Salary ranges from $28,000 to $32,000, depending on experience.
Benefits include: 15 days of paid accrued vacation during the first year (20 days of vacation after thefirst year), additional week of vacation between Christmas and New Years, fully-paid health and dentalinsurance coverage, 403(b) plan, flex-spending account, in-house training programs, professionaldevelopment opportunities, and staff enrichment retreats.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references to:
Human Resources Department
Tahirih Justice Center
6402 Arlington Blvd., Ste. 300
Falls Church, VA 22042
Please note: Candidates applying must have work authorization in the United States.
The Tahirih Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer which does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran's status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Tahirih’s policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.