Staff Attorney Position Open at CAST LA.
Summary of Position
Under the supervision of the Policy and Legal Services Director, the Staff Attorney will be responsible for providing comprehensive legal services to survivors of human trafficking including assisting clients seek immigration, criminal and civil relief with an emphasis on immigration assistance. The Staff Attorney will also be responsible for coordinating the legal program’s emergency response to breaking cases and developing and providing training on the issue of human trafficking to partner organizations, law firms, and law enforcement. This is a full- time, exempt position.
- Assume caseload of trafficked clients;
- Develop and implement creative, alternate legal strategies to assist trafficked persons;
- Work collaboratively with social services and shelter staff
- Support advocacy work for policy reform that emphasizes the human rights of trafficked persons, migrants and low wage workers;
- Provide outreach and training to legal aid organizations, law firms, and law enforcement to assist trafficked clients;
- Recruit, supervise and train pro bono attorneys to assist trafficked clients;
- Recruit and supervise legal fellows or interns;
- Participate in LAPD task force for human trafficking victims;
- Coordinate legal emergency response efforts.
- Active membership in the California State Bar required
- Fluency in Spanish required
- Experience in the practice of law, including two years immigration experience and competence in federal and/or state criminal law and procedure
- Commitment to serving the needs of trafficked persons, migrants and low wage workers
- Ability to develop cooperative relationships with other legal service providers in areas relevant to trafficked persons (includes immigration law and labor law)
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with trafficked persons, legal organizations, community based organizations, volunteer lawyers, and government agencies
- Ability to develop and implement effective systems for managing own case load, as well as supervising and monitoring legal caseloads handled by volunteer attorneys or other legal organizations
- Experience developing and providing trainings to diverse groups
- Knowledge of trafficking and the issues affecting trafficked persons
- Experience in working with trafficked persons, migrants and low wage workers in the areas of immigration, labor and civil litigation
- Experience with criminal issues and experience in a legal services program
- Familiarity with the rights of victims of crime and resources
- Experience advocating for trafficked persons human rights in governmental and non-governmental contexts, preferably in California or at the federal level.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, life, sick/vacation leave, and a 403(b) plan.
Email cover letter, resume, writing sample, law school transcript and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high volume of resumes received only qualified candidates will be contacted.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. CAST is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about CAST, please click here.