Boat People SOS, Inc. (BPSOS) seeks a full-time attorney for its legal services programs. The Programs include direct legal services for survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence; direct legal services for Vietnamese immigrants and refugees; outreach and education for the community; and training and technical assistance for service providers.
1. Provide survivors of human trafficking with legal services and referrals in matters including immigration, employment, family law, and civil rights;
2. Provide survivors of domestic violence with legal services and referrals in matters including immigration and family law;
3. Recruit, train and mentor pro bono attorneys, volunteers and local service providers assisting human trafficking and domestic violence survivors;
4. Collaborate with other local, regional, and national providers to strengthen a coalition of service providers and law enforcement engaged in the issue of human trafficking;
5. Conduct community outreach and education on legal remedies available to trafficking and domestic violence survivors and to the Vietnamese community regarding immigration options;
6. Provide legal representation to Vietnamese immigrants and refugees on immigration issues including family-based immigration, refugee adjustment, naturalization, cancellation of removal, disability waivers for torture survivors, and other avenues of relief; and
7. Represent asylum seekers in asylum and removal proceedings.
Goals: 1. Clients receive effective, quality service in a timely, professional manner;
2. BPSOS is well-represented among public and private agencies; and
3. Collaborative networks are strengthened and improved to form a seamless network of services for survivors.
Location: Falls Church, VA and / or Silver Spring, MD
1. Juris Doctor from an accredited law school;
2. Admitted to practice law either in Maryland or Virginia;
3. Experience in immigration and/or family law;
4. Experience in working with victims of trauma (domestic violence, family violence, sexual assault or human trafficking);
5. Outreach and training experience preferred;
6. English and Vietnamese fluency preferred; and
7. Bicultural background preferred.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
Human Resources email@example.com
BPSOS is an equal opportunity employer!